Monday, April 7, 2008

Sarah's sleeping regime




When baby Sarah sleeps, you can really feel the peace… :)
Well, literally when you watch her, and of course as parents… especially when it IS time for bed!

She’s been sleeping well for the past 3 weeks. When she wakes up, it’ll be either because she’s hungry or if she has poopoo-ed! Her wake up time is either 2am and 6am or 4am and 8am. Good timing ya?! Thank God she is consistent in her sleeping hours, making it easier for hubby and I to attend to her. She’s such an understanding princess! Hehe..

Two nights ago she slept for 6 hours straight! The mattress + comforter that Uncle Philip and Aunt Hannah bought for her suits her really well. My biological clock woke me up at 4am to feed her but she was sound asleep. I guessed she was really comfortable in there!

Last night was different though. We fed her, changed her diapers, yao-yao-ed her, and we sort of basically tried everything to make her sleep but she was crying all the way. She would sleep for awhile but will wake up every hour and cry like never before. She was feeling really uncomfortable and we really felt helpless. I was a terrible mum that night! I gave up so easily and passed that “burden” to hubby. It was 3am and he cradled her till she sleeps. Her stomach must have felt uncomfortable and needed some attention. I was tired but I know I should have persevered. Hubby was tired too. He kept falling asleep while cradling her, but he persevered and she slept at 3+ am. God bless him! By 7.30am when I woke up to feed her, I felt such a regret to quit so easily as a mother. She’s just a baby and that’s the only way she communicates her needs. She doesn’t give us problems taking care, yet I was demanding in wanting her to “learn” to communicate the way I want. That’s so unfair for her... :( Mummy’s really sorry, baby Sarah. I will try my best to be a better mum. Love you so much!

I felt guilty and regret so much so I sms-ed hubby that morning, telling him how sorry I was. He needed to wake up 6am in the morning to get ready for work, yet he had to take care of little one too. He didn’t complain. He’s such a dearie. His reply: “We need to stretch more so we can give our best as parents. Pray that God will guide and teach us lo. It’s OK, I’m here…” So touched to receive this from him, knowing that we’re together in this and truly, we’re praying that God will continue to guide us and teach us to be great parents to baby Sarah. It should never be a “burden” but a joy. For the JOY of the LORD is our STRENGTH.

Watching her every morning when I wake up brings peace and joy to my heart indeed. Not because I felt the burden lifted, but just seeing her in my life is a joy itself, which nothing else can bring.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

New experience as parents is not easy. But, u will feel so rewarded listening to them talk the first time, walk the first step and other many firsts'. So, keep the updates on Baby Sarah flowing. Bless u all.....

richrach said...

leong chee! u r a real "father" la! hehehe... with all the experiences with the babies r mummy take care! :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time when she cant sleep n keep on crying, try holding her with her stomach facing your stomach, hold her tight, she will feel comfort. Baby that are facing colic, if u hold her this way she will sleep well. happy trying!

joshua said...

hehe...i guess babies are made to sleep in peace...

we adults have too too many things to think so much so that we have trouble sleeping.

nevertheless, god gives his beloved sleep.

richrach said...

hey steff! i tried that, and it does work! a great bonding time too! :)
of course, there were times when we still cant seem to figure out what's the problem. i guess time will tell.

jo! sleep as much as you can for now, cuz in no time, to get a good peaceful sleep is something we yearn for!