Monday, April 27, 2009

Review: McDonald Section 14

Last week I was at Section 14, PJ McDonald. Being happy to be there to do some personal management of my files & folders (virtually) - i got myself a Happy Meal! :p

It was my first time going upstairs to have a meal here after the Restaurant's make over months ago. The environment should be better I told myself. It does look stylish from the outside! I went up to the 1st floor - rather warm. Was the aircond functioning? Hmm... I didnt know there was an "open area" there as well - for smokers. Wow! What facility! :-s

I looked around me for a power plug as my macbook battery is totally dead & i needed power to do whatever i plan to do in that few hours. I saw another couple nearby who were also looking for power source for their laptop. Hmm... OK.... looks like i am not the only one.... Actually, there were many power plugs all around us - just that.... they were all NOT working!

I decided to go up to the 2nd floor and try my "luck". Yey! It was cooler there. But funny, there was a signboard at the staircase saying that "This Section is CLOSE" - but to my surprise, the whole floor was almost filled up! There were many students doing their studies there - some with books, some with laptops. Well, again, i must say there wasnt any power plugs available. The couple from downstairs and a guy came up with me. We were all looking for the same thing but only got disappointed together.

I then decided to have a break, & finish up my Happy Meal. I got a "free-gift" for Sarah too! Hahaha... I got bored so I took some pix of it (not too many as my handphone battery was about to die too! Arrrggghhh!! What a day!)

I took out my organizer (my faithful book) & started journaling my day at McD S14! Well, at least i've something to do there besides waiting for an available plug! :p

Hubby then sms me and ask me to go KFC and get a chicky meal instead! *doh!* Wasnt willing to do that. Maybe they have non-functional power plugs as well...

Hmm... i wonder whether it is like this everyday, or it only happened that day when i decided to spend some time off from the office to do some personal planning.

Some observations...
1. Most McD customers are students - mostly college students
2. Most of these students have laptops!
3. Students who come alone - i think they are for real! Well done!
4. Students who come in pairs - most of them are boyfriends/girlfriends - i saw a few couples kept talking & teasing each other during their study time! Hmm....
5. Students who come in groups - when they come in groups, they come in same-gender-group. They seem to be rather serious in their discussions too. So, keep it up boys & girls! :p

All in all, i spent about 40 minutes in McD with my personal organizer & guess what? My pen started running out of ink too! What???! Ah well... I finished my Happy Meal and decided to walk around Section 14 until Daniel comes to pick me up @ 5! So, that's how i ended my Friday in PJ!

Some take aways for those who are planning to spend some time on their laptop & get free wifi service in a restaurant like this...
1. Check availability of seats + power plugs first before buying your food.
2. Prepare extension cord or power adapter - you might need this when you want to share the power source with someone else.
(I thought of this when I saw a guy nearby me who was sitting alone and having his laptop connected to a power plug. But guess what? After some time, he walked up to a McD staff and asked her for power plug (that is working). She pointed at the one he was using, and he answered back, "Sudah rosak-lah". OK.... means he was running on battery all the while too. *doh!*)

I guess they purposefully switch off the power supply so that people in general wont sit in there for too long. Sigh...

Free wi-fi? Woo-hoo! Yes! But, sorry, no free power plugs! Sorry, McD - that's NOT good service!

2 comments:

joshua said...

haha...well, can't have everything, right???

try starbucks, u can be a freeloader there...

d'Lion said...

I just checked Starbuks just now, yes got lots of power sockets.

Oldtown, not many.