Friday, July 3, 2009

Public transport... some experiences...

What can I say about Malaysia's public transportation? x-|

Let's recall back my experience in the past 2+ weeks...

Experience #1 (going to work):
Reached Kajang KTM before 6.30am. Waiting time was alright. The train came, I got into the train and reached KL Sentral about 7.20am. People were all queeing at different ticketing booth to buy tickets to board the different trains/buses. It looked pretty different from the last time I came. Much much busy now! I went out towards the road that leads to PJ to take a bus over to PJ. Lo and behold, some construction was going on between Sentral station and the bus stop... I couldnt find the road that leads to the bus stop. I saw many people walking towards somewhere, so I just followed the crowd... Later on, I found out that they were walking towards a queeu to the buses going down KL. So, instead of looking for the bus stop to board the bus to PJ, I decided to take the LRT and drop myself at University station to take the bus to PJ from there. To cut the story short, I reached office about 8.40am, ie more than 2 hours journey to work that morning.

Experience #2 (going home from work):
On the same day, I intended to take a Rapid KL bus to Mid Valley and take the train from there to Kajang. Unfortunately, there was no Rapid KL bus from 6.30pm-7pm that day. Two other Metro buses came and gone, and so finally I went up the 3rd Metro bus as it was getting late and I didnt want to wait any longer. Metro bus doesnt passby Mid Valley, so it's more of a hassle if I need to take the train interchange. To make matter worst, this particular bus driver drove super duper slow. He was on the line with his manager (i think), reporting to him every other buses he saw along the way. He sounded like he was competing with Rapid KL buses, trying to kill time and take as many passengers as he could. It was really getting dark so I decided to stop at Bangsar and took the LRT interchange to go to Sentral and from Sentral, I took the KTM to go back to Kajang... so I reached home almost 9pm that night. Sob Sob... :'(

So what can I say about Malaysia's public transportation (and traffic)?
1. Buses dont come on schedule! Same goes with the train at times!
2. Some bus drivers are totally a pain (like above), as they do what they like and only waste other people's time... :(
3. LRT/KTM must either increase their schedule frequency OR increase their coaches. There are just too many people "trying to" or "hoping to" rely on them, causing sardines effect everyday... but nope, they're not doing anything about it. How sad...
4. Traffic jams are horrendous! This applies whether u take the bus... the cab... or you're driving your own car. The traffic jams in Klang Valley is just super duper bad! Sigh...

Would anyone do anything about this?

p/s - I used to take the public transport from Setapak to KL to PJ when I was a college student some years ago. The only reason why I managed to get around with public transport this time was due to that. Otherwise, I would dread taking this means of transportation as the system here is just so unfriendly for people in general!

2 comments:

dorcas said...

my experience was the KTM train pack like sardine and I have to wait for the next train ard 30 min to 45 min. ! waste of Time!

Tandanie said...

I can only empathized you... me no experience taking public transport!
But I am sure I know how Malaysian transportation works... hahaha