Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Being a full time stay-at-home Mom...

Well, well, well.... what can I say about this?

First day was quite alright.... I gave her my full attention - played with her, watch TV with her, eat together, etc... It was only when she had her morning and afternoon nap that I had time on my own to do things, but I could only spend those short hours doing laundry, cooking, have a quick bite, clear house mess, check emails, etc... (Really not much time actually...)

Second day? I thought i'd do something a lil different... "Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!" I know that as long as mummy is near her, she will be able to play on her own (just knowing that I'm there... - well, that's what I thought). She was alright only for a short while. After that short while, she demanded 101% of my attention. As she played on her own, I decided to do laundry (2nd half), clear the dishes, manage my personal billing and filing, glue her torn books, surf the net (on how to discipline toddlers! :p), etc... unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as I thought... It was rather difficult as she kept wanting me to play with her. I managed to divert her attention to different toys many times but almost all the time, it lasted only for a short 5 minutes. I asked her, "You want mummy to play with you?", and she kept nodding her head.

Some incidences...
When she saw me with my pen and my organisor, she would place her hand onto my pen and thinking she was playing with me (as I write...). Then I decided to sit at the table. She demanded my attention at first by crying and holding on to me, but I kept telling her to play on her own... So, finally she got my message, but unfortunately, she was doing things like throwing toys all around the house, tear her books, etc... It seemed that all she wanted was my attention and nothing else!

It's a different stress being a stay-at-home mum & a working mum... It was challenging - really really challenging! I was mad at her for tearing the book (because I just glued it back!). I felt at that moment my blood pressure went up! I scolded her and did some "time out" with her. No TV, no toys, no "pao-pao" (carrying), no this & that... Looks like it didn't work out too. It seemed that she understood my intention. She knew I was angry. She was even scared to look at my eye. But her rebelliousness seemed pretty dominant. I was praying that I would continue to keep my cool, because it was really difficult to discipline a child when a parent is as mad as I was yesterday! I tried a few methods on my own - scolding her, explaining to her, ignoring her, crying out loud (she looked at me and sayang me (funny!)), sighing out loud... etc. I'm not sure what method is best at the moment. Different child, different method... :-/ Looks like more homework for me to know what suits my girl.

I will be doing more research on this... I think Sarah will be my "guinea pig" in my research... I know that kids her age has no limits in exploring, but what's the limits of us parents? I've found some really good sites on disciplining toddlers, but have yet to put more time & attention on it.... once I've got some extra time that is.

Alright, till then...

4 comments:

Tandanie said...

Rome wasn't build in a day... same goes to a one-year old toddler! It's time to explore and but with limitation they will have no choice but to choose their own "way" of exploration!
Be cool... punishing her without her understanding it won't work!
And you can't just learn from book too when it comes to discipline your child! Trust me... i tried the method for baby according to book but it won't work!
Maximus thinks it's a joke!

rachellmc said...

wow! full time mum! how's it feeling so far? *envy*

richrach said...

rach, oni full time mom for 2 days la... since my MIL went for her church camp! hehehe... :p

rachellmc said...

oh i seee.. i thought u left work and became a full time mum.. hahhaa..